Traffic Swarm

TS25

Friday, July 25, 2008

Maori Language Week

I came over to this country 6 years ago. Being fluent (malaysian-style, but still better than many other nationalities) in English, I had very few communication problems as everyone speaks Inggeris.
I myself can speak a few languages - english, malay, hokkien (kuching style), mandarin.

I love languages too, and have made an effort to study Korean. Alas the grammar beats me every time :)

Anyway.. back to the point,
Maori is a language that seems to me pretty much like Malay. Like any other language, I always feel that people speak it way too fast. ALthough I have come to realise that I speak Malay pretty fast too - Indonesians have trouble catching up with me, because they only learn Malay at school, but speak colloquial Indon all the time which is almost like a totally different language from Malay.

Again I digress. Anyway... I will stop blabbing and teach you a few Maori greetings


Kia ora koutou (Hi everyone)

Greetings
Tena koe (formal greeting to one person)
Tena korua (formal greeting to 2 people)
Tena koutou katoa (formal greeting to many)
Kia ora (informal greeting)
Ata Marie (formal good morning)
Morena (informal good morning)

Farewells
Ka Kite (see you (informal)
Ka kite ano (see you again)
Ma te wa (in time)
Ka korero ano (I’ll speak to you again)
Hei kona (farewell, you’re staying, I’m leaving) or Hei konei ra (farewell - I’m staying, you’re leaving)
E noho ra (Sit there, I’m leaving)
Kia pai to wa (have a good day)
Po Marie (formal good night)


No comments: